1891 – D’Olier Chambers, D’Olier Street, Dublin
Built in 1891 by J.F Fuller for Gallaher’s Tobacco Company out of yellow brick and terracotta. Cleverly used to turn the corner, the building is prominent with its decorative features, scrolled gables and tall chimneys.
Photograph above - D'Olier Chambers just after the uprising in 1916. Look closely to right and you will see the original Gallaher's sign, Doyles bar on the left. Not much has changed in 100 years however the statue has gone.
Photograph above - As it in now.
Gallaher's Tobacco Company was originally founded in 1857 by Tom Gallaher in Derry, Ireland. By 1896, he had opened the largest tobacco factory in the world in Belfast. The business was incorporated on 28 March 1896 to "carry on in all their branches the businesses of tobacco, cigar, cigarettes and snuff manufacture".
Formerly produced in London and Dublin, Gallagher's moved its production to Belfast (cigarettes) and Wales (cigars) in the early 20th century.
The D'Olier Chambers building on the corner of D'Olier St and Hawkins St.
D'Olier Street is a street in the southern city-centre of Dublin, the capital of Ireland. It and Westmoreland Street are two broad streets whose northern ends meet at the southern end of O'Connell Bridge over the River Liffey. Its southern end meets Fleet Street, Townsend Street, College Street and Pearse Street.
The street is named after Jeremiah D'Olier (1745–1817), a Huguenot goldsmith and a founder of the Bank of Ireland. D'Olier was the City Sheriff in 1788 and a member of the Wide Streets Commission. The street was one of the last major interventions in the Dublin city plan to be executed by the Wide Streets Commissioners.
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopaedia